Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Small compliment, big effect

In a time of social distancing, limited time with friends, family, and people you haven't met yet, positive interactions carry extra special meaning.


The Fred Meyer parking lot was beginning to fill up on a Tuesday morning. The pharmacy drive-through was open and I picked up my prescriptions quickly. I drove carefully towards the parking lot exit.

While waiting for another car to ease into a tight spot, a woman walking towards the store said "I like your Jeep, baby."

I managed to mumble "Thanks, I appreciate it". The woman continued to the store and looked at her in my side mirror. I noticed my throat getting tight and I felt a tinge of emotion. A few minutes down the road, I shed a tear.

I was kind of in my own head and wasn't prepared. In the last few weeks my conversations have been limited to store clerks, delivery drivers, a few friends, social media, and, of course, my mom.

I know she was commenting on a car and not me personally but it doesn't matter. I still felt good to hear. I often think my small comments don't mean anything and usually hold my tongue. This is a reminder that I can positively impact someone with a word or phrase.

I know I might be reading more into an otherwise innocuous comment that is warranted. (Or maybe not.)

Kindness makes a difference, even if we don't see its benefits right away.


A couple of years ago while stopped at a convenience store I was approached by someone asking for help with bus fare. I fumbled in my pocket and produced some coins and a $1 bill. I offered what I had. The person was so appreciative which led to a quick embrace. I still remember that brief hug with a stranger.

I came out of a coffee shop in SE Portland and saw that someone had stalled in the road. Without thinking a couple passersby and I ran to this motorist's aid. He steered while we went to push from the back and we pushed the van to safety. The driver thanked us and we mentally high-fived and dispersed.


Premeditated kindness is good but instinctual kindness is best.

It shows you would to the right thing even when no one was looking.



No comments:

Post a Comment